Why is a Quality Score important for PPC?
One of the important factors in a successful PPC campaign is a good Quality Score. With a poor Google Quality Score, you can experience more ineffectiveness in your paid search campaigns and simultaneously increased costs. Without understanding the Quality Score, your campaign will likely suffer from poor performance.
What Exactly is a Quality Score?
The Quality Score is Google’s way for rating the relevance and quality of your keywords and PPC ads. Google uses it to determine your overall cost per click (CPC) and multiplies it by your maximum bid to calculate your ad rank during the ad auction process. There are several factors that can influence your Quality Score, including:
- The click-through rate (CTR)
- Relevance of each keyword to its respective ad group
- Relevance of ad text
- Landing page relevance and quality
- Past AdWords account performance
No one beyond Google knows how much each individual factor affects the Quality Score algorithm, but the biggest influence is most likely the click-through rate. If you’re getting a lot of traffic from people clicking through PPC ads, that can tell Google that your ads are relevant and influential. As a result, Google is more likely to reward your efforts with higher ad rankings and lower costs.
Overall Benefits of Improving the Quality Score
The Quality Score is highly important to the overall success of your PPC campaign. Through the optimization of your Quality Score, you can experience better return on investment (ROI), because a higher score means lower cost per conversion. Keep in mind that cost per conversion is different from cost per click, accounting for how much you pay when someone actually takes a specific action on your website, including either purchasing a product or signing up for a free demo. The more infrequent nature of cost per conversion often makes it more expensive than cost per click. However, the higher your Quality Score, the lower your costs will be for both cost per conversion and cost per click.
How Can I Improve My Quality Score?
There are numerous ways you can improve your Quality Score, including:
- Better Keywords – Performing keyword research can help you determine which keywords are ideal to use for ads, including long-tail keyword phrases that people are likely to search
- Better Organization – Consider splitting keywords into tight groups that can adhere to specific campaigns
- Refined Ad Text – Try testing different copy for your PPC ads, targeting individual ad groups for improved CTR
- Optimized Landing Pages – Make sure your landing pages are of the highest level of quality and relevance to ads
- Added Negative Keywords – Try to avoid using irrelevant keywords that do nothing to help your campaign, and exclude them using negative keyword lists
By taking these steps, you can make your Quality Score higher and subsequently spend less money on your PPC campaigns while seeing better results in the long term.